You might not need this tool right now, but at some point, you might. So here's her post. Hope you will find it useful!
Tuesday Tools: Word2Kindle
-By Stephanie McKibben
Upfront honesty...I have purchased ($27) this tool, but I have yet to use it.
I just thought I might pass along the info in case this is something you might be interested in. What it is: a formatter for kindle.
Now, understand, I'm a word aficionado. Inputting my authors' Word document into Kindle doesn't scare me. I am the rare case of Word user that understands the messy language of .doc files. I have zero problem navigating my author's manuscripts and turning them into Kindle-ready files.
My technique is with ease of cutting roses. Yes, there are some thorns, and I get caught in them sometimes, but mostly, I enjoy the intricate pedals of Microsoft Word.
You? Maybe not so much.
Which is why I'm directing you to Kinstant Formatter for this Tuesday's Tools.
Here is the lowdown directly from their site:
Here’s what you get with Kinstant Formatter: Get your books uploaded in just a few moments…
1. No software to download or understand…. this is a web-based tool that works on PCs AND Macs…
2. Future-proof all of your books… do the work ONCE and only ONLY… because KinstantFormatter is using the ONLY tool Amazon has promised will work indefinitely…
3. Publish your books in any language (We have happy users publishing in Spanish, French, and Greek so far…)
4. Upload many file types – we support doc, docx and odt.
5. Make this VERY easy for your readers. This eliminates page breaking on black and white Kindles, makes bullets look GOOD, adds links in the Kindle’s “Go to…” menu for the cover, table of contents and NCX (location map), respects left indentations in your source documents, and respects and exists bookmarks “toc” & “start” from previous attempts to use KDP.
6. Upload images with no problem. Books with a few illustrative images – that are not overlapped – look GREAT… (Though fair warning: Image-based or fixed layout books are NOT our specialty).
Images are automatically resized, optimized and compressed to ensure the lowest file size possible. (This is important as your file size can have a huge impact on royalties.)
We also add a white background to transparent images so that they look as great as possible.
7. Your readers’ first impression, the Table Of Contents, is created in a breeze…. (with up to THREE levels per T.O.C.!)
8. Create placeholder covers which can be updated at any time…
9. Receive premium support -KinstantFormatter is well known for a high level of customer service that you simply cannot get from the open source stuff out there…
10. Keep your books a secret. As soon as you upload your file, it’s deleted by the server. We’ll never see what you create.
You might be asking me Steph...if you're a word wiz, why'd you buy it? And, I'd have to answer: Because correcting some formatting issues can be very time- consuming, and in the future I may not be the one formatting my author's books. My VA might be doing it. Good to have the tool now and learn how to use it.
Again, if $27 is too much and you want to fight the good fight with Word, no worries! It's just an option.
ACTION ITEM: If it sounds good, go on over to http://kinstantformatter.com/ and check it out!
That's a good tip for all of us writers out there! Thanks, Stephanie!
Til next time!