Thinking about their marriage and life together inspired me to offer them and other newlyweds some words of advice. Why am I qualified? Well, I've been married to the same man for 41 years now, and I totally failed at another marriage that lasted a decade. So, I've seen the good and the bad of it all!
So, here's my advice:
- Joyfully greet each other whenever you can. It makes a person feel special and important.
- Spend a lot of time in body contact. That means hugging, kissing and showing affection. (You get the picture.)
- Communicate what you need from each other. Pick up on the cues of body language, tone of voice and overall demeanor. Lack of communication never works in a marriage.
- Never go to bed unhappy with each other. Make sure you say goodnight in a loving way.
- Silently listen and just be present for each other. Be sure to offer hugs as needed.
- Pick your battles. Compromise is the cornerstone of a relationship. You don't have to be right all the time. Just learn what's important to the other.
- Be loyal, trust each other and always be truthful with each other.
- Compliment each other on your appearance. Show approval whenever possible.
- Make the other feel better about himself/herself when with you.
Til Next Time,